View Single Post
Old 01-23-20, 07:15 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
It absolutely depends on your circumstance. If because of age or physical needs, why not...
^this is sound logic. However, if your reasons are simply that you'd like to try it out, or that a new shiny thing might be fun, or some other reason, then think hard about it.

1) Expense. The true cost of ownership includes not just the substantial entry fee, but also any replacement parts that you might foresee over, say, 5 years. Are there components that are unproved, or that might be prone to failure? Consider the full costs.

2) Complexity. Are you a do-it-yourselfer? So, you'll be taking on the troubleshooting, maintenance and repair of these additional component parts, too? Is that what you want? Have a voltmeter, continuity checker, and troubleshooting skills? If not, you'll pay. See #1 .

Those would be two reasons to consider. Me, I'm 60, fit and a pretty strong rider. I have no immediate need for help. I like my bikes as they are. But, things always change, don't they?
Likes For Phil_gretz: