View Single Post
Old 07-24-20, 02:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,918 Times in 6,103 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Since modern bikes sizing is described in terms of stack and reach, I'm trying to translate the measurements of my current frames into terms of stack and reach so that I can compare more easily, but I'm coming up with some weird numbers. Must not be drawing something right

My only CAD software is at work, does anyone have any recommendations for some freeware that works decently well? This year my favorite 2D CAD program became paid only, and I'm not about to pay $100/year for something I use so rarely at home
I did it the Old Fashioned Way - first, I made myself an Old Fashioned.

Then I set each bike up, JUST touching the kitchen counter with the back wheel against the wall. Then I measured from the center of the BB spindle to the floor, and to the wall where the wheel was touching. Then I measured from the center of the top of the top tube to the wall and the floor. Then I used an Excel sheet to convert inches to cm and do the appropriate subtractions, and voila! Stack and Reach.

I also used this method to measure saddle setback, saddle-handlebar drop, Reach+ and Stack+.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles