Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

regarding brake centres/reaches -

when frames are designed they are done with specific brake model(s) in mind

at the time of the frame's manufacture in the later 1960's it was common for brakesets
to be made with shorter reach on the front than the rear; Weinmann 610/750 for example

it is quite clear when we look at the rear that frame was not designed for Campag brakes. note the need for a dropbolt and even with its use the pads are all the way at the bottom of the slot. maximum reach for the standard Record caliper is 56mm and the dropbolt gives and additional 6.0mm which extends this down to 62mm.

on the front there are two possible reasons for the closeness -

a) manufacturer designed for a caliper with a shorter reach than the Campag

b) when the OEM tubulars were replaced with wired-ons, 27 wheel was selected over the OEM 700. this would reduce the brake centres by 4.0mm.

with consultation of tables of brake reaches it appears maker may have designed for the Universal model Nr. 51 Extra brake set. in this set the front centre of slot dimension is 50.5mm and the rear 64mm.

---

rgppgr -

one thing which might advance the investigation with regard to the possibility of a Benotto Mexico origin would be if you could post an image of the seat tube transfer. it appears to exhibit a crest/emblem which may be of help to the forum's Benotto experts.

-----
I posted this somewhere. I think it was the Benotto facebook page. At any rate here it is. And I didn't quite follow the front wheel explanation about tire size. 700c is the tire on it now.