Old 11-06-19, 03:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
In my opinion, that is a pretty weak argument. As far as my riding environment, I see about 100 cyclists riding up a local mountain road. On flatter sections, bike trails, coast highways, I see hundreds of cyclists on every ride.

It is very rare that I see even 1 cyclist without a helmet.

So to say that if the helmet was made mandatory, there would be less cyclists isn't true.

You must live in a small town community. Things must be very different where you are compared to my home. I see some posts on Strava as well from other small town cyclist. As an example, many times I have seen posters claim top ten spots on the Strava leader boards. Well yeah, when you only have 20 riders on a segment, the chances are much higher to post a top ten spot.

As an example, this is an image from Strava to show how many cyclist ride on the local segments. Very popular stretch used by racers, recreational, sport, commuters, touring, you name it!

Take a look at the red circle, 19, 3432 cyclists on this one stretch. Believe me, there are hundreds of miles around here that are highly populated by cyclists, all types. Our mountain roads are also highly populated with thousands of cyclists as the Tour of California rides through our hometown.

Not sure how many cyclist ride in your area but we have THOUSANDS OF ALL TYPES. I wish I could see the amount of cyclists for each segment on your local Strava.

Yes, 19,342 cyclist on this one of a million segments in our local area. Of course the commuter types "MIGHT" be at the slower end but they are there too, and wearing helmets. I say MIGHT because I know a guy who commutes that kills many cyclists riding superlight roadies while he rides a heavy commuter type old rusted mountain bike.

Well if your reading comprehension was up to par, you would see that is my point. I speak for my area and say the other poster must live in a different type less populated, weaker cycling community. She has said that there is no place in the US where Specialized bikes are not everywhere. That is BS, they are all over here. My point is that it is different here from there, but again, if you were able to comprehend.

OK, so Boston is different. OK whatever, I was speaking for California to point out that it would not make a difference here. I say Calif, you say Boston, what is the argument? I did not say everywhere and as far as the other poster, that was my argument, if you could understand.

The strava? It shows how many cyclists ride through the area showing the other poster just how many cyclists I see as she asked if I only saw, chat, and record what I see with only cyclists similar to me. No, the point is that there are many, different levels, and types in that amount of thousands I pointed out.

That was the reason for circling the amount of cyclists on the board. But again, I guess you were not able to comprehend that either.

I'm able to comprehend a logical argument, but you're all over the barn. Start with that first statement I quote above--that's not limited to your area, you're making a blanket statement that the assertion that mandatory helmet use will reduce ridership isn't true. Then you make an argument that seems to be because you see a lot of bicyclists in your area, that you can make some sort of generalizations about helmet use in "strong" cycling areas. My point with Boston clearly being different is that whatever connection there is between allegedly universal helmet use in California (not my observation when I lived there, btw), it isn't an indication or side effect of "strong" cycling patterns.

Frankly, I didn't believe him when he said he doesn't see Specialized bikes in the land of RAGBRAI, and I don't believe you when you say you don't see utility riders and commuters without helmets. Well, let's put it this way, I don't believe they're not there, I think both of you see what you want to see and don't see what you don't want.

Finally, you know what the biggest difference is between biking in California and New England? It's the friggin' climate. If there really is a difference in helmet use, did it occur to you that people who are likely only going to ride part of the year might find it harder to justify putting money into a helmet?

Oh, and the cat/troll fellow is definitely a he.