Old 11-15-19, 08:20 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
Bobby G's "The Dark Side of Bike Commuting..." post got me thinking about defensive tactics to deal with aggressors on foot at night. I think the issue warrants a separate post.

Anyone have any experience using your headlights (particularly helmet mounted) to deter aggressors on foot?

I think I'm fortunate that I commute in a low-crime, safe-traffic area. However, in last 4 months on my commute I've passed police handling a motor vehicle fatality and a homicide in a parking lot so it may be that I'm delusional instead..

I've always planned, if approached at night by an aggressor, to just keep shining my helmet light (very bright) in their eyes. But I've never tried it or practiced it. May be another delusion..

Looking for any actual experiences that might help me better plan for the eventuality.
I have never encountered a threat yet, but I have thought about it, too...and I also may be "delusional". I like to think a blast of my air horn would startle the perpetrator long enough for me to get a head start. It has worked on dogs.

Speaking of dogs, If I were stopped or forced to stop, I think the advice to put your bike between the dog and yourself may also pertain to a human assailant.

I also like to think that pointing to my helmet cam and announceing that "You are on camera!" might be a deterrent. I'd even fib and say "you are on a live video feed to the internet".

I also usually have an ear-piece in while riding and could call 911 with the touch of a button and a verbal command. Then I would announce, "I am on the phone with 911".

This would all be predicated on an un-armed encounter with one or two individuals.

I don't know what I would do if faced with a group, a knife or knives, or a gun or guns.

No bike, wallet or phone is worth your life.

There is always pepper spray and/or mace and other personal protection products. (edited, bobbyg).

Last edited by BobbyG; 11-16-19 at 07:34 AM.