Old 10-01-20, 11:51 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
I got my LBS to press the new headset (Cane Creek 40) in to the headtube, install the fork/spacers and stem. Picked it up yesterday as I was in the area and brought it home.
Good timing as I'm just about finished cleaning up the old drivetrain. I wanted to check it's general stance so I installed the seatpost and saddle, handlebars, and original wheels (please ignore the 1.5" slicks...they're what came mounted when I got this bike).
Loooooong headtub ate up almost all of the uncut fork steerer.
What do you think; looks ok so far?
Very nice, comfy geometry. I imagine it's pretty light as well. I hope your LBS didn't charge you much for pressing that headset in. You know you can make your own headset press for very little money? Mine at home looks like this:

... except I'm using all large fender washers instead of the ball-bearing thingy that this one uses. I've built over twenty bikes with it and it still works like a charm every time.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Likes For DQRider: