View Single Post
Old 05-21-20, 02:23 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Starting up officially in AZ too. But not for me.

Initially in March with no group rides I struggled with motivation for longer solo rides even though for two decades have commuted 22mi total daily every workday so have a lot of solo experience.

But after a few longer solo rides I started to like them better as they are more efficient time wise with no long stops and no periods where I want/need higher output and more concentration on my effort vs. group riding dynamics. And some of those certain people are not there to annoy me with their odd riding styles. I also like being able to change my route on the fly.

Of course I miss the socialization, competitive aspect and some elements of group dynamics. It can be hard to push oneself solo for a flat sprint, but I still work the hills hard. At least with social media ride posting apps I can try for best time for the day or year for some motivating competition as many of my cycling friends ride similar parts of routes.