View Single Post
Old 07-26-12, 09:32 AM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wednesday night summer series omnium at Encino. Raced the As for first time... field was full (24).

Points race: went well, though the pace was controlled by the sprinters, who were in the majority -- slowing significantly after each point lap (10, 20, 30, 40). I was still in "just don't embarrass myself" mode rather than racing like I belonged there. Still, I was surprised the endurance guys let them get away with that.

Belgian Win-n-Out (winner of first live lap gets 5th, next winner 4th, etc): Such a short race, this was all sprinters (and we had about half a dozen of top sprinters in the area). It was a good one for the endurance guys to rest up for the Scratch, or so we thought.

Scratch Race: this is the one I was really looking forward to. Even though only 30 laps (40 would have suited me better), after assessing the field in the first two, I thought I'd be able to get away in a break. Then, as we lined up on the rail, they announced that they were cutting it short to 20 laps because they were running late (shoestring budget, lights were going off at set time). Argh. All the sprinters licked their chops again. Frustrated, I took a flyer very early (just a couple laps in) and stayed away for a couple laps. At least it pushed the pace. Sat back and recovered enough to go off front again with 2 to go (was wishing here that I hadn't done the first flyer). Maybe top 10, but definitely out of points.

Another omnium Friday night, this time indoors at VSC. Will see if I'm recovered. Hard track efforts definitely take me longer to recover from than hard endurance efforts.