View Single Post
Old 05-09-19, 02:04 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Warm weather is bringing out all sorts of poor decision making on the trail. Yesterday's return commute on the Minuteman was a nervous affair
1. Very crowded with seemingly unpredictable individuals, one lady just turned her bike onto the path in front of an oncoming cyclist
2. A teenager slamming on his brakes and locking up his rear wheel right in front of me as I was making a turn onto the path after crossing Rt. 60. It's a miracle that I didn't eat pavement, and I was clipped in too! The icing on the cake was the "what did I do wrong" look on his face.
3. A van slowly running through a crosswalk while a lady on a staircycle was crossing, also somewhat slowly. She was on a collision path with the van, but then just turned left, made a large-radius U-turn and went back on the bike path heading back where she came from, without any sort of acknowledgement of the situation.

Days like this make me strongly consider getting a 'bar-cam'.

On a more positive note, my daughter is getting close to growing out of her bike seat - and also uncomfortably unwieldy, so I scoured the local markets and stumbled upon a fantastic deal on this Burley trailer on FB marketplace:

It's in a very good condition though the rear hub and freewheel sound a little rough, so may need some grease. Yet another rack in my quiver, but this one is nice and beefy and it will let me carry my Ortliebs while transporting the kid, which is something I really missed with the CoPilot seat (no front rack yet). Can't wait to take it out!
Likes For autonomy: