Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Terrifying!
Thanks to @JW Fas for posting this video. I have posted about learning safety either by experience or vicariously, and this is the best training video I have seen about “bailing out.”
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
I haven't had to cross that bridge yet, but the mental plan is to bail right into the grass or apron of the hwy if there is one.
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Good luck with that plan
Originally Posted by noodle soup
This is what I was getting at with Deal4Fuji. You might see it coming, but there's little that can be done to avoid it in the time you have.

FTR, I have also been rear-ended by a passing truck.
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I wonder if the cyclist saw it coming. Maybe not, as he did not appear to be moving right prior to impact.

I use a mirror and monitor every overtaking vehicle. I really can't imagine not doing so.
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
It depends on the mirror and how often you check. I use one, and I would not have seen this one coming.

A lot of folks have already chimed in that they would avoid this road, which makes me wonder if the statistics for getting rear-ended are already mitigated by avoiding the issue entirely.
I’m an ardent mirror advocate. Many naysayers disparage the use of the mirror for the rare event as depicted above, just to avoid a rear end collision. IMO a mirror is more frequently used, and more valuable to monitor and anticipate road hazards:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…When I was hit from behind, it was on a wide, low-volume, well-lit residential road at about 9 PM in June, by a “distracted driver.” The route was so calm that I was not closely monitoring my rearward view. In fact, though perhaps I could have ditched the bike, I’m glad I didn’t see it coming if I was going to get hit anyways.

I once read a comment that one should practice doing "bunny hops" so at least you could jump a curb if present on your right.

Obviously that’s the ultimate use of a mirror, and now I monitor rearwards more frequently. So hopefully being aware of the situation behind, even when not in immediate danger, allows the rider to avoid a dangerous situation, even by pulling off the road. And other than my accident, I’ve never had the need to bail out.

IMO, besides routine monitoring rearwards with the mirror, a most important use is to make quick decisions when encountering an obstacle in front of you, such as a car door, pothole, car entering your path, etc. Can you immediately veer left?

Mirror threads are often popcorn threads, and I’m always dismayed when subscribers blithely write, often directed towards newbies, that you don’t need a mirror and it doesn’t help anyways. Why discourage such a simple piece of equipment? I’ve tried to think of the dangers of a mirror, and the best I’ve come up with is poking your eye with an eyeglass or helmet mounted mirror; or being too distracted by it, for example if you can’t really get used to it.

Personally, I use an eyeglass mounted Take-a-Look mirror that allows me to maintain a forward-looking head position with just a sideward glance to see the rear. I really don’t want to turn my head for an over shoulder glance away from the line of travel when speeding downhill on a pothole-strewn road with heavy traffic to my left and parked cars to my right. Furthermore, wind noise can sometimes obscure the sound of a passing car.

I find mirrors so easy to use, and so helpful that I wear both right and left (link).
So as a bailout training video, I have to consider how I would react to a quickly upcomimg car, and make the decision to bail, especially with an inhospitable shoulder.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-06-19 at 06:50 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston: