Old 09-12-19, 03:43 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Having been hit from behind by a vehicle not so far in the distant past that video brings back some unpleasant memories for me. Luckily the car was only going about half the speed.

For those of you who think that you could have avoided such as situation if you were monitoring the rearward traffic using a mirror, I highly doubt that...
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
When I was hit from behind, it was on a wide, low-volume, well-lit residential road at about 9 PM in June, by a “distracted driver.” The route was so calm that I was not closely monitoring my rearward view.

In fact, though perhaps I could have ditched the bike, I’m glad I didn’t see it coming if I was going to get hit anyways...
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Thankfully rare, unfortunately lethal. Most statistics I see give you a coin-flip's chance of surviving. It looks a whole lot better once you stack the probabilities, fortunately.

I know that I'd have a significant epinephrine release if I saw it coming, though. Odds are only slightly worse for Schroedinger's cat...
Both the rear end hits cited above were non-lethal...obviously, although,
...My first recollection was the assemblage of first responders with their vehicles to put me on a board to the nearest Hospital, with vivid memories after that, including airlift to a major Medical Center, the six week Hospital stay, and three-month rehab until I returned to work.
...My main injury besides a few minor broken bones was a fractured sacrum. Weight bearing activities such as walking a distance and prolonged sitting are [still] uncomfortable, but fortunately sitting on the bike seat is OK, even for a few hours.

I also lost some upper thigh muscle due to a soft tissue injury and had a draining wound that made me dependent on someone to change my dressing until October [five months later].
"Do you really enjoy riding a bike?"

I describe my riding experience similarly, as a cycling lifestyle (of 40 years). I once listed as my credentials: a carbon fiber bike, year-round cycle-commuting, a cross-country tour, and a serious car-bike accident.
But don't cry for me, Argentina.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-12-19 at 04:40 PM.