Old 07-25-19, 10:21 AM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by bjn74
Yep - that's the one! Looks great! I'm looking forward to my next ride this weekend.

Interestingly I have been looking at the Canyon bikes too. I love the look of the Grail CF. Yes, even the hover bar! Just a bit uncertain as I can't test ride those bars. I also like the look/value of the Grail AL 7. That's about the same weight as the carbon bikes I'm looking at. And way cheaper with budget to spare for other stuff.

If only I was in Atalanta - I do have a good espresso machine so could have done that deal! You'll have to come to Dallas for the coffee and ride.

Thanks for all the other comments and inputs too! Will keep doing test rides. I'm not in a rush (intend to purchase in the next 2-8 weeks). Have been slow to reply as apparently I can't post more than 5 times in 24 hours.

Any comments on the whole Aluminum vs Carbon frame issue? I initially assumed carbon = lighter weight. Apparently not the case. So why spend a $1000 more for a carbon frame for no weight savings? As mentioned above something like the Canyon Grail AL 7 with 105 running gear for $1700 seems attractive. It's about the same weight as all the carbon bikes I'm looking at and leaves a lot in my budget for other stuff (like a set of lighter road wheels). More information to digest!

I did see more information on the new 2020 Trek Domane too. Looks pretty nice! And will take a 38mm tire with 4mm to spare either side.
Carbon can be lighter than AL, but the reason for a carbon gravel bike is because you can also engineer it to do things like flex a lot more than metal which makes it really comfortable. When you take the Revolt for a ride, push down on the rear of the saddle and you’ll be able to see the entire seat post flex. It’s really noticeable when riding on rough roads. Also carbon frames from a lot of manufacturers have a lifetime warranty because they don’t degrade and break after a certain amount of time like AL frames can.