Old 09-19-19, 08:44 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Today I bought a cheap (£40) Bike Hut work stand from Halfords. I had expected to have to pay 2 - 3 times as much for something like a Park Tools one, and had been putting off the purchase for that reason.

I'm really impressed. It is heavy (in a good way) solid and stable, with plenty of adjustment, and will hold a bike up with the handlebars at shoulder height (or more) with plenty of clearance to turn the cranks (with pedals attached) if you're working on gears or brakes. It will grip the bike by the top tube or seat tube. It even comes with a little tray to put odds and ends on, which is pierced around the edge for screwdrivers or Allen keys.

I had expected it to be a disappointingly flimsy stop gap until I could afford better, but I'm very pleased with it.

Of course, a better one would be better. For example, this one has knurled knobs for tightening most of the bits that need tightening. A cam lever would be quicker and better, but more expensive. It's not often I'd go out of my way to recommend a purchase, but this one gets my seal of approval for those who want to do bike maintenance without back ache.