View Single Post
Old 09-22-19, 08:24 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
^ that's already bad enough here. :'( and we know they don't have insurance either, We have to drive very defensively here. I have not ridden in C'bus, but down in Ross County, I wouldn't even want to be on the roads on a bicycle.
As far as Road riding. Western Ohio North of I-70 is really nice road riding. but most of those people are people that were driving farm stuff from age 12.
That's a shame about Ross county, those long farm roads and rolling hills beg for a ride. It's typical in Columbus, poor folks don't bother with licensing or insurance. Think they're good drivers because they've never hit anybody then get bent over when they're hit or finally make a mistake.
Lights in the day help drivers decide how to get around you. On tree shaded streets you'll blend in unless you use lights. Some asshats in traffic will be asshats, but their road positioning can point them out for you, same as if you're driving.

What we need as a state is a dedicated component on an exam and periodic PSAs about how to handle a much slower vehicle. Folks get frustrated thinking they can't pass you in a double yellow when they can if traffic allows.