View Single Post
Old 07-03-20, 09:11 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951
I spent the afternoon with my grown daughter, celebrating her birthday with a ride through Wenham, Hamilton, and Ipswich. She led me a merry chase on her Cross Check, and I endeavored to keep up on the Trucker DeLuxe.

We rolled cheery on our Surlys.
Hi Rod,

It’s always a joy to ride with someone dear to you, as I have with my wife, for many years. I have previously replied to the occasional ride description that you do in a region remote from Minuteman and the northwest sector of Metro Boston, to one that I know well.

I have had many nice rides in the setting you rode above
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I haven't ridden up around Newburyport for a long time, but I think it might be nice.

However, I have enjoyed much summer cycling just south and east in the region bounded approximately by Topsfield and Danvers to the west, to Beverly along the coast (Rte 127) up through Manchester to Glooucester and Cape Ann, to picturesque Rockport, and back northwestward towards Essex, Ipswich, and inland to Hamilton and Wenham; those last towns known as wealthy horse country.

Quiet scenic roads can be found, not particularly hilly, with a fair number of cyclists.
...Danvers and the adjacent town of Beverly are the gateway towns to great cycling on the North Shore. I seem always to get lost as I go through Danvers from Boston to the North Shore, but maybe if you start there, you’ll have better luck....

From Danvers I would suggest going to Beverly and getting on the oceanside Route 127 up to Rockport and circling around Cape Ann. Another nice route is leave Danvers on Rte 1A and make your way through Wenham, Hamilton to Essex and on to Gloucester and Cape Ann. Rather than oceanside riding, this is exurban, shady (as I recall) riding.

Of note in Essex is Woodman’s, where the fried clam was invented. Also in Essex is the Essex River tours, a serene boat excursion out to the Essex Bay and the Ocean. I had previously posted to this thread:
Inland towards Topsfield, Ipswich, Hamilton and Wenham are also nice.

Our family summered in Rockport for a few years and I enjoyed exploring that area, including rides to or from Boston, though south of Swampscott was always less pleasant, unless done on an early weekend morning.
A nice ride from Danvers might a loop out Rte 127 to and around Cape Ann, and back inland through Essex, Hamilton and Wenham, or vice versa. FWIW.

I’m glad to answer any questions; replying brings up very pleasant memories of previous rides
Even those with a memorable mishap.
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Every time we take our tandem out I worry. I worry less so on a solo bike because it is more agile, but I still worry about some inattentive or drunk driver hitting me from behind in a most unlikely place.

Nevertheless we ride anyway. You can't run from life.
… Well said and so true. I have had two other emergency room visits while cycling.

The first was up in the exurban Hamilton-Wenham area of the North Shore in the mid-morning on a weekday. I was able walk to nearby Gordon College, and call my wife for ride to Beverly Hospital, where I got some upper lip stitches,
"sweat in eye... what to do"

Be careful. My worst crash [prior to 2012] was when I tried to wipe off some sweat in my eyes with the back of my glove I ran off the road and got some stinging abrasions and a cut on my upper lip requiring sutures.

I thought I might have to lose my moustache.
˅˅˅˅

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-03-20 at 09:46 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston: