Thread: '75 Gitane
View Single Post
Old 09-29-19, 04:45 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by gitanesearch
Well it wasn't lower end, I can tell you that... I'm not sure how you can tell 2mm difference in that photo... I've seen many of the TDF online and they have rubber on the shifter levers... this one had all metal **** levers and quality components... maybe they built it up, it was said to be a racing bike. Was probably bought slightly used. It was a VERY nice bike and even if I don't know what a "seat stay" is I know enough about bikes to know a nice bike.

Also on the TDF that I've seen the decal on the seat post tube is down lower, the one in my picture is up higher... I'll try to find more pics of it maybe that will help...
More pics will be essential if you want a positive ID, since the various models look so similar, and components often were substituted when supply levels changed. Chas (Verktyg) is one of the most knowledgeable folks on this forum with respect to French bikes of that era, but again, more pics will be needed for any confidence in an ID.