Thread: '75 Gitane
View Single Post
Old 09-30-19, 02:23 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
1973 Gitane Gran Sport

Originally Posted by 76SLT
I get it. I'm doing the same thing, trying to figure out what model Gitane I got for my 8th grade graduation present in 1973. I have one photo of it, and it's not great . I remember it had Simplex derailleurs and Mafac brakes because I still have the little tool kit that came with it. I don't remember anything more about it. It was replaced in 1979 by a 78 Schwinn Superior, which I still have. I loved that bike and would love to replace it but don't know the model.
Welcome,

Your bike appears to be Gitane Gran Sport Deluxe model. They came with quick release hubs. Back then QR hubs were the sign of a "quality" bike.

Gitane offered a less expensive model with low flange, nutted hubs and a few other "economy" components.

The Gran Sport Deluxe was a classic example of better quality entry level bike boom model in the ± $100 price range.

During the bike boom fad of the early 70's the buzz word was "10 Speed Racing Bike". Any bike with derailleurs and drop handle bars fell into that category.

We sold Gitanes at the 2 shops that I worked at during the bike boom. Cosmetics aside, the Gitane Gran Sports had a leg up on most of the other European bikes in that price range.

My first Gitane was a 1972 Gitane Gran Sport Deluxe. It looked like this one:

I had several others that I built up from bare frames to use as commuters/beaters/trainers.

Gran Sports come up on eBay fairly frequently but they were not as popular as Peugeot UO-8 bikes. Sellers usually don't have a clue about the bikes they're listing and over inflate the features and prices!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)