View Single Post
Old 04-07-20, 12:35 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Foam roll leg therapy on-the-go?

Does anyone else use a foam roller for leg therapy? What do you do on tour?

I had a knee go out on me several years ago and ended up with a few months of physical therapy to get back to shape. That was before I switched to clipless pedals and why I switched. One of the recommendations from my therapist was the foam roller. I'll be honest - I didn't keep up with it once I got back to shape. The clipless pedals have been a significant improvement in the years since and I haven't worried about it. I get a good balance of leg use which has been great (pulling now as well as pushing).

The past couple weeks I've been riding a lot more and a lot more frequently. My knee has been acting up a bit, not to the point of not being able to ride but to where I know its being bothered too much. So I went back to the rolling and all is well. I do 10 reps per leg before I ride and some time after I get back or before bed.

That got me thinking - for any rides more than a day I would have to have that rolling ability with me on-the-go. So far, aside from several 0 days, that is what I have found I need to do back-to-back rides, as far as my legs go.

Does this theory apply to anyone else here? What do you do, how do you do it, what do you use?

Has anyone used a cut-down pool noodle? Or are they too small? The roller I use is 5.5", I'm thinking the noodles are 3.5-4".