Old 09-18-20, 02:59 PM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Weight concerns with super light racing bike?

Hey 👋 everyone so question for you all, does anyone here over 250lbs currently ride an older vintage racing bike with very thin tires? Does the bike well the wheels hold you without any damage to the wheels?

I just picked up a Sekai racing bike that has 700 x 28 tires and I’ve never seen tires that thin. I’m still researching the bike and I don’t know yet the weight limits on the wheels. I’m wondering if I will need to wait to attempt to ride this bike until after I have lost some weight.

I’m actually preparing for Bariatric surgery in November and currently am at 266 pounds and I’m 5’8. I know I won’t be riding the bike at all before next Spring since I’m working on fixing up another bike. But I’m still very new to learning about all the bike parts and repair jargon, I’m teaching myself how to completely disassemble and rebuild a bike so I don’t know all the jargon and the terms yet so please excuse my ignorance with much of the terminology as I’m still learning a lot.

I don’t really expect to ride the bike probably until next Spring anyways and by that time I’ll be on the way to my weight loss goals of at least 100 pounds.

I’m kind of afraid to attempt to try out the bike now in fear I may damage the wheels with my current weight.

here are some photos of the bike

Likes For tpadul: