Old 09-22-20, 06:43 AM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
You asked this in the other post, I decided to answer it here because your questions were about this Sekai. And I didn't want to hijack the other thread.

You have a quill stem with a threaded fork on the Sekai (this is the older style). When I said not to have them cut the steer tube, this was intended for a threadless fork. Apples and oranges. (I think you know the following, but I typed it out already and decided not to delete it) If you want to raise the handlebars on the Sekai, you need to loosen the bolt at the top of the quill stem (only a few turns, don't unscrew the entire bolt), either it will drop down or you will need to tap it LIGHTLY with a hammer. Then the bolt will drop down and the stem should be loose. You can raise it to the minimum insertion mark. Screw the bolt until slighly snug, align the stem with the front wheel, then tighten the bolt.

If the handlebars are not high enough, you have a few options, 1) there is a stem by Nitto that is extra long Nitto stem, this is about $50, or 2) you can use a quill stem adapter, this will make your steerer threadless compatible so you can use a standard threadless stem (dimension quill stem adapter), now you can use a lot of different threadless stems, I like the dimension because it is longer than other stem adapters. This stem adapter should work in place of the Cinelli stem. I use the threadless adapter on a old Waterford bike, I like the threadless adapter because I can uses stems that have a faceplate which makes it easier to change stems or handlebars.

The aerobars appear to be some version of the profile design airstrykes, just loosen a couple of bolts on the clamps to the handlebars and rotate the aerobars until the bottom of the bars is level with the ground, you can play with it from there. The arm rests for the aerobars don't appear to have pads, you can get replacements from profile design, you can figure out which pads will work best for your arm rests.

I hope this answers your questions. Oh, I never would call your or any of my bikes a racing bike, I call this style road bikes, that's because there are road racing bikes, mountain racing bikes, cyclecross racing bike, bmx racing bikes, etc...
Thank you so much for your help and Yes I will remember that now, still learning all the new jargon and terms, thank you for your patience :-)
Unfortunately my Quill stem is already at the minimum insertion and it's still too low down for me. So I have to look into the Quill stem adapter or a new Quill stem. Perhaps after my Bariatric surgery and I am down to an ideal weight then perhaps I might be comfortable riding in the position with the drop bars down a bit lower. It will take me a while to build up endurance for that as aside from the extra weight I have right now I also have a form of Exercise induced Asthma so the extra weight doesn't help that problem at the moment. I will look into the other options that you have given me and I really appreciate the help