Thread: Strobe lights
View Single Post
Old 09-24-06, 07:03 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by coprolite
invariably punk out when it gets either COLD or WET; can't imagine why the manufacturer thinks they shouldn't work under those conditions, nobody who falls off a boat would ever face THAT environment. LED types are better than nothing, but the light output isn't even close. If anybody knows a brand that will hold up to the real world, including the vibration on a bike (I doubt the marine versions are really designed for that), please share your sucesses!
It's been mentioned a hundred times and more on many many threads here. Amber strobe from All Electronics:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...5/Strobes.html
They also have white, green blue and red. Don't use the blue, that's a reserved color and the cops will not like it.

I used my first one for a year before it died, riding in driving rain, snow, and about 2000 of the 6000 miles it took was washboarded gravel road. Then I bought another. When I did the postmortem, it turned out that the strobe itself hadn't died, just my wiring leading to it. So I don't know how long it would have lasted. However, it's a completely sealed unit; in fact I had to destroy the case to get to the electronics to figure out the problem. But they're $8 so who cares.

It also runs overvolted on my 14.4v pack which puts out 16.8v at first, and that doesn't seem to bother it either.

Here it is mounted on my bike: