Old 11-18-19, 06:20 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
I meet with the insurance adjuster today. Talking to him on the phone yesterday did not give me a good feeling, or, at least reminded me that this is the guy who is NOT on our side in this mess. He opens with the comment about having to ensure that there's no evidence that the fire was set (read the fire marshal's report, *******?),
Standard practice. Fire Marshalls are not the ones who determine the origin and cause. I've never seen one that knew squat, or if he/she did, bothered to investigate. Insurers investigate for 2 reasons: 1-Coverage and 2-Subrogation.
then during the conversation when I mentioned that this was my workshop for restoring antique bicycles, he immediately comes back with, "Oh, you were running a business out of there?" knowing damn well it's a homeowners policy.
Hmm.
I'm shutting down the books on Syke's Cyclery, and will probably get in touch with the county to drop the business license and the state to drop the tax license. The shop had a good run and I enjoyed myself, now its just time to scale back to whatever is needed to keep my collection on the road.
It was a business, you've called it a bike shop and had a business license. It should not be on a homeowner's policy if that's the case, as no homeowner's policy is intended to cover a business.
I have a feeling I'm going to have to take him to the other barn where my collection is stored, to explain the term "hobby". And, since it was an ancillary building, not the main living quarters that burned, there's going to be a definite limitation on rebuilding monies.
Called "Other Structures," and coverage is excluded if used "at any time for any business purposes."

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 11-18-19 at 06:30 PM.