Thread: Drive to ride
View Single Post
Old 08-01-13, 12:35 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I do a lot of driving to rides . . . too much, maybe, but it works for me.

Mon./Wed./Fri. I ride to work and back, so there's that.

But on Tues./Thur. I have 6:00 PM club rides (OCRR) in Irvine. So Tues./Thur. I drive from home to work in Los Angeles (with bike on car), then after work down the 405 freeway to Irvine. I ride the club ride, usually go out to dinner with the riders after, then have to drive back from Irvine to Whittier . . . so about 85 miles of driving each Tues./Thur. Fortunately my Insight gets between 65 and 70 mpg. so the gasoline cost isn't that bad (about $5.00).

On weekends, I usually head to the mountains; Glendora Mountain Road (start is about 45 min. drive), Encanto Park (about half an hour drive), Red Box (about an hour), etc. Then Sundays usually just the club ride, so 50 mi. in car from Whittier to Irvine and back. Or . . . sometimes Sunday is fixed gear recovery ride from home if Sat. was esp. brutal.

This last Sat., however, I rode from home, leaving Whittier at 6:00 AM, riding down to Oceanside over a lot of climbs. Then, after a fine lunch at Anita's in Oceanside, I rode back to Whittier. http://app.strava.com/activities/70329551

My Garmin battery was all used up about 4 mi. from home, so really, a 180 mile day. But hey, that's what I get by riding from home!

Rick / OCRR