Old 07-14-15, 07:35 AM
bruised

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy

Without "random/sporadic thought 'clutter' that floods into my head when I'm on the bike," I would be lost during those wee hours of the AM, between 0200 and 0500, when I'm out by myself cranking out the miles before the sun rises and turns the day into a pizza oven. Same thing when out pounding the pavement getting into some sort of reasonable shape for a marathon. Something like this AM when I got out at 0405. Even thoughts of my mortality due to my cancer or being hit by a vehicle or a frozen turd falling from a plane causes no angst.

In my case.....low IQ = peace of mind

You're fortunate if it doesn't bother you!

Don't get me wrong, I can be fairly productive in the head department on long rides - 'which socks would be better to pair with these cycling shoes....where could I bury the neighbors dog and not have it show up until after the holidays....surely Brett Favre was a better QB than Aaron Rodgers'...etc. That's one layer. Then there's ALWAYS a tune playing....ALWAYS. It's there every waking moment stuck on repeat. The tune changes periodically, say three or four times per day, but it's on a loop and I can never get it to shut down. I don't know who selects the tune but whoever it is should be fired from a cannon. Yesterday it was Max Bygraves' 'Tulips from Amsterdam'. Right now it's something by Barry Manilow. I hate Barry Manilow almost as much as the neighbor's dog.
I've read somewhere that at best my condition is related to OCCD, at worst it's an indicator of some deeper psychosis. I'm going with the latter and I blame Barack Obama, the Green Bay Packers and the neighbor's dog.
The third layer is me trying to control the bike, stay alert and avoid being turned into road-kill by an Illinois tourist.

And I'm trying to introduce structured training on top of all this - Tabata for cripe's sake.

Last edited by bruised; 07-14-15 at 08:27 AM.