Old 06-26-19, 11:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
OP probably researched online and the store offering was very limited compared to online. OP probably couldn't remember all details and wanted sales person to verify..... but apparently it is too much to ask that sales person knows the 10 bikes on the floor.

Which is why I buy online. Last time I stepped in an LBS there was a sales person who I think doesn't even ride or sold jeans a week before. Then the owner who is knowledgeable, but only acknowledges you if you look like buying the most expensive bike.

But support your LBS, no matter what.
Our shop has probably at the very least 60 different models of bikes on the floor (and so many more we can order) and all sorts of parts and many new parts coming in each week some of which I have seen and some I haven't. However I do my best to learn what I can about them or at least learn about the different components and such. Plus in this day and age it helps to know something about other bikes and parts you don't sell and people ask some pretty obscure questions sometimes so you have to know some odd info.

Sure I am with you on low quality sales staff, I can't stand some of my co-workers because they don't take pride in their work and don't take the time to learn their jobs or just don't always like to do them right but sadly it happens sometimes. Working for lower pay and sometimes not great hours and dealing with sometimes rather difficult customers who won't be satisfied even if remove your spine and twist yourself into a pretzel and give them more free stuff than a medical conference, can lead to poorer staff. Also some of these folks are also in school so taking time from their college or sometimes high school learning to do more learning for the job can be tough.

Not everyone is going to be a superstar all the time and not everyone can learn everything about everything. There is a lot to learn and when they are managed by younger folks they won't get the best knowledge. Luckily most of my learnification was done with older mechanics and salespeople who have done it a while and also on my own because I am a bike addict and nerd. However one of the biggest things that is more important than all that knowledge is honesty. If you are honest you will make it a lot further.

However all this being said I would rather be happy selling bikes, occasionally fixing bikes and riding bikes then stuck in an office writing TPS reports, staring at a cat poster and contemplating suicide. I love my job and really wouldn't want to do much of anything else. It is sad when people can't seem to find that joy with their jobs so they must go after other people.

At least Jeff Bezos allows test rides and fixes bikes at his shop...problem is it is hard to fit my bike in the internet tube

Last edited by veganbikes; 06-26-19 at 11:16 PM.