Old 08-15-19, 10:33 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 402 Posts
Going “All Allen Key” on C&V

Riding some time back with friends who now ride modern bikes, I was impressed with one guy’s tool kit in his seat bag. A tiny folding tool with a ratchet handle and Allen Key bits and IIRC a screwdriver. It would adjust most anything he’d encounter on a day’s ride, as long as it wasn’t a bottom bracket or hubs. On my C&V bike, I’d need a lot of 8/9/10mm wrenches, and more besides. Too bulky and heavy, I bookmarked a MTB tool online and far too heavy to buy.

Hmm, how hard to “update” and not dramatically affect the C&V aesthetic? Anyone done this, or thought through thread sizes and bolt lengths? On my latest, the Masi (pic in another topic finally), most look doable except the headset, and the brake pivot bolts and brake shoe bolts. The chainrings, sten, seat post bolt and seat post are already there.

What looks “fixable”: (A) Rear Nuovo Record derailleur, the cable fixing bolt and the pulley bolts, (B) Front Record derailleur, clamp bolt and cable fixing bolt, (C) Record brakes, the cable fixing bolts and, I expect more difficult, the brake lever attaching nuts, (D) crankset, crank arm fixing bolts which I figure must be readily available.

Hmm, readily available? I would avoid simply trying to match up bolts at Home Depot due to bolt quality, they seemed to have mastered how to chrome-plate Styrofoam.