Old 08-29-19, 06:52 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I have a fatty and have tried a gravel bike. I much prefer the fatty and don't really see the purpose of a gravel bike, unless it's to fill that really small gap in your bike line up or because it's in fashion now.
I have a question:
If you ride a gravel bike and no one sees you, is it still cool?
Frankly, I don't think my gravel bike is cool ; I spend hours riding my gravel bike with nobody around to see me .... too slow for the fast group, too fast for the slow group.

Here's why I love my gravel bike - https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...minnesota.html - it is the right tool for the right job. I've done endurance rides with my drop-bar Pug, including an unsupported solo 140-mile mixed surface ride. I like using the Pug for gravel rides, but it has limitations. I'm fortunate to have the space, budget, and supportive partner to allow me a stable of bike to pick from. If I needed to thin the herd, it'd be a painful choice, but I'd keep the gravel bike because it's a more versatile bike.