View Single Post
Old 09-09-19, 04:10 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
Ronno6 - depends on what your goal is. If the goal is to do longer rides, lengthen your rides. If goal is to increase your speed, do the same number of rides but faster. If your goal is to get in shape for a multi-day tour, then start increasing number of times you ride two days in a row.

The simple truth is your body gets better at what you make it do - that is what training is all about. There are some other proven training techniques (like intervals) to trade more intensity for less time on the bike, but if you have a goal, then shape your cycling to look like your goal.

If the goal is just to have fun, stay healthy or get healthier, then just ride when ever you can and leave a rest day after any extra hard day.

That is pretty much the goal for me (age 62, still working) but I really enjoy long rides and a little bit of multi-day touring. So, on weekends I usually get in a 50+ mile ride and during the week I can sneak in one or two 20-30 mile rides. If I wasn't working, I'd probably be doing one or two more rides per week. But for me, the "magic" occurs on rides longer than 2 hours - both mental and physical gains!

That's my approach to "training" for the longer rides I then do periodically over the year (75/85/100 milers) or mini-tours of 2-5 days, and it fits my time, seems to work and doesn't put me on some kind of forced schedule where I get on the bike because I'm supposed to vs. I want to!
Likes For jpescatore: