Old 12-13-19, 02:41 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Of course, I was referring to other runners/triathletes in the previous post. I don't have to worry about being that mentally seasoned because................I get left behind so fast from the start. The other participants have gone over the horizon and are a distant memory after the 1st mile. I only have to worry about my waving technique as I wave goodbye when the gun sounds. I might get lucky and see them again if it is an out and back course. Otherwise, I'm in a different race altogether.
I ran in a 5K last Saturday. I found out a few days before that my wife had signed me up for it. My grandson who is 12 years old said he was also running in it and planned to beat me.
Back story: 2 or 3 weeks before a 1/2 Ironman (oct 27) I had to stop running due to a back issue. Did the 1/2 IM (slowly I might add) then despite my plans of running through the off season, I didn't run again for 4 weeks. The week of the low key Christmas fun run I ran 3 days then found out about 5K and didn't run til 5K.
Now back to fun run (but for me a race). When my son was 14 when he beat me in a 5K but he had to run a 18 something to my 19 something, although early in the race season it still hurt. But he was a teenager. My grandson was intent on beating me and it actually gave me anxiety. He had run 2 miles in 14 something and I was in no shape to run 7 min miles. But this was 3 miles and he had never ran that far. So we warmed up together talked a little trash to each other then lined up. He of course went right to the front of the line and I reluctantly followed, mostly cause I didn't want to lose sight of him. He turned around shook my hand and said let's run together. I said No run your race I don't want to slow you down but I still want to beat you.
The horn goes and we're off and immediately he leaves me behind. I'm running hard and can only hope he slows. Somewhere before the 1 mile marker I notice he's not gaining and in fact I'm catching him. Finally about the 1 mile I do catch him and as I pass him I call out his name. He picks up his pace and runs with me. However almost right after an "old man" passes me. So I decide to run with him and my grandson falls off the pace. The old guy is a strong runner but I think I'm faster so I run immediately in his wake into the headwind. I think at the turn around of the out and back course I'll drop him. We're running hard (for the shape I'm in) and at the turn around he takes water falls back a little and I decide he's done...But Nope. He catches me and starts picking up the pace (hey I was gonna do that). So I tuck in behind him and we're off to the races. Actually I'm running a little behind and to the side. Anyone watching can Clearly see we're in a battle. I think he's in the running club because everyone going towards the turn around are hollering Go Mike! Go Mike! I mean a lot of people, I felt like saying "My Names Not Mike!". Anyways about a half mile to the finish my fitness told on me and I backed off the pace. The funny thing is as I backed off he gained a certain distance and I noticed he wasn't gaining anymore so I thought hey this race ain't over. So I started running harder and thought the last quarter mile I'm gonna go all out. But alas he stayed ahead and finished 20 seconds in front of me.
Fortunately my grandson will have to wait a little longer to beat Me. BTW the old man that beat me was my exact age! He got first and I got 2nd in our age group.
The aftermath: I walked painfully sore for 3 days after. My time was a dismal 24 something HOWEVER that was the best i could do under the circumstances.

Last edited by texaspandj; 12-13-19 at 02:52 PM.
Likes For texaspandj: