Old 07-27-11, 12:16 PM
duceditor
Oldie but Newbie

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sprite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
""Most of the very fit elderly people I know do lots of walking but are not at all sporty. I find that cycling is the easiest excercise to slot into everyday life. It takes real will power to haul yourself to a gym twice a week. All it takes to ride to the supermarket is to run out of coffee." Michael W@BFS"

Love that quote Cyclomania!

Beyond its humor there is SO MUCH truth.

I've never been "athletic," either in disposition or natural talent. I've gone through several fairly lengthy 'jags' and exercise/diet binges but they never last for me because they are not who I am.

Walking has been my savior. I park over a mile from my office and only 3 times in the last 4 years have I taken the provided shuttle bus. That walk - rain, snow or shine - has been essential to my physical well being.

More recently, when recovering from an on-the-job accident that required surgery (4 torn tendons), I found myself house-bound and gaining weight. Again walking was my savior -- this time by my assigning myself the "duty" of finding one good camera image a day and posting it on a Facebook album entitled "My Morning Walk"

It was that accident that forced me (as it were) to get back into bicycling. I've been an avid sports motorcyclist for many years but my injury prevented me from riding. "Why not take up bicycling?" asked my son and DIL - both avid bicyclists (and motorcyclists and pilots). And I did! -Digging out my (and my wife's) 40+ year old Raleighs.

And I'm lovin' it! So much so that my current project is a website (Soon to go up, presently in the development stage) entitled "3-SpeedsForever.com"

Thanks to all here for the encouragement and helpful advice! A nicer group of people one couldn't find.

-don