Old 11-14-19, 08:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
^ This is true. In the metro DC area, there is an abundance of good trails that link neighborhoods and follow major transportation corridors. The trail network permits one to get out congested city and suburban areas somewhat safely, certainly in ways that would take seriously good riding skills and a high level of awareness to survive using the roadways exclusively.

My problem with riding on the MUPs is that they are at the same time constraining because of the nature of various types of users, especially during the times where I might choose to use them. My wife and I often ride on these paths on weekends for a lunch date into town or to explore a new area in the city. Our perception is that the highest danger moments come when we're in close proximity to other trail users, combined with someone behaving unpredictably. One has to be alert and to minimize risky choices to stay out of trouble.

Some of us can live with that compromise to gain the safety and convenience that MUPs offer. I can and do on occasion. It's not my preferred type of riding.
Really can't argue with preferences.

I'm not sure whether I'm less likely to get injured on a MUP, but I'm certainly less likely to be seriously injured or killed.

The car equivalent is that statistically in terms of numbers of accidents, some of the most dangerous places to drive are parking lots and gas stations, but that just shows how many more fender benders there are than injury accidents.