View Single Post
Old 08-05-20, 07:58 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
There were a couple hostels in Reykjavik, Iceland, I stayed at the large one near the campground. Was a great place to start and end my bike tour. Grocery store and liquor store were about a km away if I recall correctly. The airport shuttle stopped at the Hostel, I think I had to change buses, but it was still quite convenient.

Considering the price of lodging in Iceland, the hostels were clearly the choice for frugal travelers on a budget.

Speaking of Iceland, after riding my bike all day through windy rain when I was pretty much soaked, I was looking for the campground in a small community. Could not find it but I saw a hostel, so I went in to ask where the campground was. After being in a warm and dry building for about 5 seconds, instead of asking where the campground was, I asked if they had room for one more traveler for the night. It kept raining for the rest of the day and night, I was so happy I found the hostel there.
https://www.hihostels.com/hostels/s-berg

I mentioned above that I stayed at the San Francisco Fishermans Wharf hostel. That is another high cost city, but the hostel was quite affordable.

But, I thought that the Moab hostel was a dump. Good price, but that was about all it had going for it. I do not think it met the standards for HI.