View Single Post
Old 08-09-20, 10:51 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I guess it’s feast or famine for LBSs. I just noticed the other day one near me is going out of business. The place has been in operation a long time. At first I figured the guy wanted to retire. But I saw on the website it’s due to COVID-related bike and parts shortages.

http://pedalpowerri.com/m/PP_Closing.pdf

Dan
Wow, that is sad to hear, and the basic reason given is a crash of the upstream parts supply.

One can't run a bike shop without having tires, chains, sprockets, and other consumables.

If the local wholesalers are unwilling to supply the parts, my first step would be to attempt to develop a new supply chain. And, it might take some work, and increasing stock, but I'd have zero qualms about doing so.

It might mean buying retail to resell, but for a long time there have been complaints about online retail costs competing with local wholesale costs. At least a reseller business should get a sales tax exemption.

Of course, several vendors have worked hard to try to kill off alternative supply chains.

We had a local Mom&Pops auto parts store close due to COVID. I don't know their underlying issues. One thing that happened is that they seemed to temporarily close while other stores remained open. Undoubtedly that created confusion among their customer base, and some might have been slow to return once the doors reopened.

And, I always thought that aging owners may have also chosen to close rather than risk personal exposure to the virus.