burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
I have only been talking about things I know a great deal about. I have not said anything that is factually incorrect.

Citations needed. You can't just make those claims without showing the actual measurements from the actual tires via a rigorous study.

I never said aero power was linear. What I said, and what still is true (and always will be) is that the power needed to travel at a certain speed has much more to do with air resistance than it does rolling resistance of the tires. The 10W some other poster claimed Gatorskins cost is on the order of magnitude of changing your hand position and tucking in your elbows. The power differences you are talking about, going from 20 to 30 mph, are an order of magnitude larger. The tires simply get swamped by the aero factors at that point.

And now you've lost all credibility due to ad hominem attacks and absurd claims. If you actually own everything "short of a wind tunnel" then why are you buying Gatorskins instead of top of the line, premium tires for your precious TT bike? Gatorskins aren't marketed to your ilk, because they aren't designed for TT bikes. They are designed for people that want a reliable, durable, flat-resistant tire that can still be supple and grippy in the corners, all while staying budget conscious. If you're out for pure performance, no, Gatorskins are not top of their class, but if you want to save some money and spend less time fixing flats, all while getting racing-quality grip, then Gatorskins are for you. It's literally just that simple.
I never said I did own any. Where did I say that?
I run Corsa Speed TL for racing and GP5000 and latex for training. I don't own any Gators. Pics of my TT bike and fit are in the 33, you can see it's got the 5000's on it for training. I setup the HED's tubeless before a race and toss on the Corsas.

I've got a Quarq, wheel speed sensor, anemometer, and all the Chung VE formulas in Excel to do VE on the rides to choose optimal setups for position and equipment. It's a pretty accepted method, again........just short of a wind tunnel.

The reason people get junk for Gators is that they claim to need them for durability, but what they ride them in is a relatively mild environment. If you're avoiding hobo glass bottles and nails as a bike courrier, fine. But otherwise, folks need to learn to stay out of the gutter, bunny hop, and inflate to the right pressures. That's my only gripe about them. I don't care one way or another if people run them. I just don't see that the tiny extra bit of flat protection is worth all the loss in a really uncomfortable and slow tire.

Also, don't get into the drum testing complaints.........people have done Chung VE to draw out differences in CRR with success, and I'm sure you could show just as big a difference with Gators there also:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...&min=6&minpr=6
Likes For burnthesheep: