View Single Post
Old 09-30-19, 06:10 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 821 Posts

Lemond Poprad

Airborne Zeppelin
I have a titanium Airborne Zeppelin I bought used and I really like the ride. It has an ovalized downtube, sloping top tube, ovalized and curved chainstays, curved seat stays that connect with the seat tube about 3 inches below the top tube. Also has a CF fork. It is light and plenty stiff. I also like the look of the bare metal.

Last week I bought a Lemond Poprad with frame and fork of 853 Reynolds tubing. The chain stays on it are ovalized and all other tubing is pretty traditional. It is not as light as the ti bike, but also plenty stiff. It is a CX bike, so the geometry of it and the ti bike are quite different. The Poprad was powder coated in a yellowish cream color last year, and I like it.

Both bikes are equipped with Ultegra 9 speed and both now have Mavic Open Pro/Ultegra hubs wheelsets. The Poprad can fit at least 35 mm tires, the Zeppelin maxes at 25 mm. The feel of the bikes are quite similar as far as stiffness and transfer of power. The Zeppelin is more nimble and accelerates quicker and the Poprad is more stable and compliant; more weight, longer wheelbase, wider tires. They are both comfortable but I think the Poprad is going to prove to be more so for longer mileage/time rides. If climbing is involved, definitely the Zeppelin.

I cannot rank one over the other. I very much enjoy riding both of them. Both the titanium and the 853 are materials that I lusted for in bike builds. Now I have the best of both worlds and plan on keeping it that way.