Old 07-15-14, 07:52 PM
hockeyref

Bikes: 1995 Canondale 2.8 frame (R800) with a mix of same era Shimano and Campy parts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Want to convert Peugot Orient Express to Hybrid need some parts info

My daughter's Trek mountain bike was stolen two weeks ago and I'm looking at my stash of parts and stuff to build something for her. I have the Peugot Orient Express frame and fork that appears to be the best candidate. I'll need to buy at least one wheel if not a set. I would like to go with 700cX25 wheels and 700x32 or 700x35 tires with a 6 or 7 speed freewheel (I would need to buy a wheel set). I have most of the rest of the parts, but I will need to buy a seat post (I believe it's 26.6mm?) and a set of V brakes that would have enough adjustment in the pad placements to work for the 700c rims. The brakes are the sticking point, I need some suggestions on what will fit. OR, will I need to go to some sort of caliper brake?

The other (easier and cheaper) option would be to keep it a mountain bike as I would need to buy\build a rear wheel vs a wheel set. I would still need a set of breaks but they would be much easier to find as a standard set would suffice.

So what do you suggest for a set of long reach V brakes? We've gone looking at bikes and she likes the Hybrid style but a new one is all but impossible at the moment.