View Single Post
Old 05-12-19, 04:06 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
KLM won't charge extra fees if the luggage is under the weight and size limit.

Air France will still charge a bicycle fee, even if the luggage appears standard. ...
I have never been asked what is in the S&S case, but if asked I would say bicycle parts but not a complete bike. (I pack the saddle and sometimes a few other parts in a different bag.) But based on your comment, if I was flying Air France I would be more inclined to say I had sports equipment.

I usually have a bike helmet with me that I carry separately onto the plane, when it is strapped onto the outside of my carry on it is pretty obvious that I am probably biking. I have never tried to hide the fact that I am flying with a bike.

Twice I flew to Europe from USA with a bike helmet, bike pedals and saddle, but no bike. Those trips were for van supported bike trips where the tour company provided the bikes. In those cases I was never asked if I had a bike either.

I have never heard of an airline inspecting the inside of anybodies luggage, the govt security people do the inspections and they do not care what fees you were charged.