Panic
Rocking the roads of Bama

Bikes: Trek 1200, Masi Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Synack42
Just need to share... Around April last year I weighed just over 330 lbs. Started to notice diabetic symptoms and the doctor confirmed I was type 2. Ended up with three different prescriptions between blood sugar, pressure and cholesterol. My mom was type 1 and had all of the horrible side effects of letting it run unchecked, complete with foot ulcers that led to amputations. It was pretty horrible seeing that myself as a kid and I really didn't want my own kids to see me go down that path... Started counting calories like crazy, no strict diet rules, just using an app on the phone to keep track of it daily. Also started biking daily, outside whenever I could or on the exercise bike in the basement. I've logged every ride since the beginning and it's crazy watching how you can progress. I could only do a few laps around the subdivision in a half hour before being exhausted. Now I can maintain a 15+ mph average for ~2 hours no problem.

I'm down to 198 lbs today and still losing, the doctor thinks another 10 to 15 lbs and it should be a good place to level off. At this point all my bloodwork is normal and I currently don't need any medication.

...Also just joined a cycling team at work, going to participate in my first group ride next month (been solo this whole time). I was shocked to find out I can even fit in an XL jersey now. (Used to be a 3XL t-shirt size before...)

*Just hoping this helps someone else get motivated and start riding.

Thanks for posting.

I've been doing the calorie counting, but just eating up to what I was allowed.. maybe under some days, maybe over some. But today I dropped my 2,064 to 1,700- was over by 100, but then I burned 700 riding. Had I not been foolish and ate some Captain's wafer crackers (bad stomach today) I would have made it easy.

Tomorrow - start again with the 1,700. Then I want to drop it down to 1,600 and see what happens.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Likes For Panic: