Old 11-23-20, 02:29 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7654 Post(s)
Liked 3,490 Times in 1,843 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
My trike is equipped with two tall flags and lights. I find that drivers give me a very wide berth since they think I am some sort of handicap device. Further I do not ride on heavy use arterial streets. 90% of my in town riding is done on the 130 miles of hard surface trails that Lincoln has.
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
That sounds miserable, despite having drivers that are so perceptive.
Nah .... I'd love it if all drivers gave me a wide berth, regardless of why.

Most do okay.

The next worst, of course, are the ones that refuse to pass, creating a long line of frustrated drivers who don't know why they are going slowly, and don't care. Those are the folks who scare me, because as soon as that first guy finally passes, the rest will try to rush by without even caring. It's the sixth guy in line who is the greatest risk.

And seriously ... I would Much rather ride 130 miles of paved trails that 130 miles of roads with bad traffic. I could take my diamond-frame bikes when I wanted, but also ride a trike when I didn't have errands to run, or didn't want to ride a particular route (i have a couple god climbing routes I like to hate.)