View Single Post
Old 06-28-19, 07:11 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
First riding was around age 6....that would be 60 years ago??? The tires were a solid synthetic material. Anyone else ride a bike with solid tires? I still remember how jarring it was. My next bike was a black 3 speed that was way too big for me but it had inflatable tires!!!. I'd have to find a stump or side of hill to mount it, but I rode it everywhere. We lived a few miles from town and I'd ride into town, to school, baseball practice etc. The road in front of our house was a pretty busy two lane major highway that was pretty scary to ride on even then. My parents didn't want me riding on it. Our other option was a dirt road that was a back road towards town. It was rutty, somewhat uphill and there was a German Shepard that lived about 1/2 along the road. So many times I'd ride the busy highway because it was faster and easier. I just didn't let my parents know. My next bike was a ten speed that I used in college. After warping the rear wheel riding across a storm drain grate I didn't ride a bike again for almost 30 years. I left the old bike with the warped rear wheel in a rack at college beside my dorm.