FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
You're understanding this question wrong.

What I'm saying is that if a person lives somewhere and they can find an opportunity, ANY opportunity, within reasonable walking/biking/transit distance, then you could say LCF is a reasonable option. They might have to work in a convenient store or fast food restaurant and they would have no other options or prospect for career advancement, but if the workplace was within a couple miles, then they could walk/bike to work and back.

Now, they'd also have to be able to do shopping without a car for LCF to be a viable lifestyle.

If the nearest job or shopping is more than a half-hour by bike/transit, I would say it's almost prohibitive. I think that if it takes people an hour to drive to work, that area needs serious reform to bring people and work closer together, which could also mean reducing total driving traffic and replacing it with other modes.
You queried how far in miles would be the point that people hop in a car instead of taking other forms of transit.

My reply was an excerpt showing where pre WWII commutes usually had a limit of 1 hour no matter the method of transit. The car extended the mileage to work, but the one hour still holds for a person's commute time limit, in most cases.

I gave a personal example where 1.5 hours exceeded my limit, but 30 minutes was acceptable to me.

You followed up saying 30 minutes would likely be a bike/transit limit, so that matches my example.

Your mind reads and communicates different than mine. Your replies and my replies aren't on the same page. I can communicate with the others here much more clearly.

Last edited by FiftySix; 05-24-19 at 07:40 AM.
Likes For FiftySix: