GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Obvious points -- people don't wear "standing still then falling" helmets even though there's a non-zero chance of fatal injury, and a scuff on the helmet indicates she probably saved herself from a scratch but says next to nothing about the likelihood of serious injury. I'd bet money that you're far more likely to suffer a brain injury from falling down the stairs than getting off a bike, but we wouldn't be making snarky comments to a person carrying their bike helmet on the stairs..
She landed on the grass. She was a rather large lady, 250# or more and went down like a stone. If she had no helmet and hit the concrete or a large rock, I suspect she would of gone to the hospital.

I also once saw a 4 year old on a bike with training wheels. She turned her head to see behind where her parents were and of course she also turned the handle bars. She went over the handle bars and landed on her head. Her mom ran up and I told her to check her teeth.. they were fine,. But she brushed away her bangs and he had a bump the size of an egg. I told her to get her to the hospital.

Trust me I was shaken to see a a 4 year old so injured and only wondered if she was wearing a helmet would she be in suich bad shape.

Adults can make their own decision and will have to live with them. But kids rely on their parents to protect them.

Helmets are like seat belts... they don't work if you're not wearing them.

In Connecticut, motor cyclists are not required to wear helmets and most don't. We call them organ donors.
Likes For GlennR: