View Single Post
Old 08-18-19, 12:39 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
We all know that not all bikes peoduce the same speed from the same effort- for all of the reasons mentioned above.

I'd say that roughly a half dozen of the bikes in my collection are 'fast': The Mooney, Merckx Century, Schwinn Prologue, Cinelli Mens Sana, Miyata 1200, the Canton, and of course the Cannondale SR500. Similar gearing (usually from about 32 to 100 gear inches) but different groups on them (105 6,7 and 11 speed, Dura Ace, Shimano 6208 and 6402). Some are freewheel, others freehub. Tire brand & size are pretty much all the same. But I have other bikes with the same or similar gearing/tire setups that are not as fast.

A fast bike surprises me when I look at the cycle computer and see that I'm traveling at a rate a mile or two faster than usual or expected. My fast bikes consistently turn 32 mile O Loop times - a ride I do three or more times per week- in the 1:55 range, while similar, slower bikes may be as slow as 2:05. Lots of hills on that training loop, but have the same experience on the 42 mile W&OD trail which is faster (fast = 2:30 or less) but much flatter.

Nope, I can't explain it. Some are just faster than others.