View Single Post
Old 07-22-19, 11:50 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy
So I'm doing a couple of one-day cycling event rides this year with a friend of mine, but I want to start expanding my horizons into self-supported touring, starting with a couple of 2-4 day excursions. However, due to my current financial situation, I need to make-do with my older Specialized sport/racing bike, which I bought new back in the spring of 2008. I think it's what they call a compact frame bike, where the top tube is angled a bit, instead of straight like older road bikes used to be. It does have attachment points on the back where a rack can be mounted (but nothing on front). I have no clue what brands of racks/panniers would work for my situation. I understand that striking the rear panniers with one's heels can be an issue when mounting panniers on a road bike, and I would like to avoid that. I've also been thinking of a used B.O.B. trailer system. I've seen a few on Craigslist for around $200, but so far none are close to where I live. One other thing I'm giving consideration to is that my personal weight is around 210-212lbs currently, and I'm wondering how well my aluminum road racing bike would handle the weight of myself plus cargo. I've seen folks on the forums mention getting tires for one's bike that have more spokes. I'm not sure if that would work here or not, but it's certainly something I'm willing to look into.

What advice or suggestions do y'all have? What have I missed?

Thanks!
Ok! Honestly, I think you really need a touring bike. Old ones are just as good, so you can find a good price for a serviceble old bike that will suit your needs perfectly. Find a bike you can afford with a triple crank. I'd find an old touring bike but a hybrid would work. I've even seen mountain bikes used as touring bikes.
It's a matter of being as comfortable as possible on a bike with gearing low enough to pedal up all hills and the carrying capacity you need to carry all your stuff.
You sport bike might be adaptable but it will be a tough job and even then you'll have a poor imitation.
Find a bike that fits, drop the size of the granny to 24 or 22t, make sure the big gear in back is no smaller than 32t and add racks front and back. Low riders are great but anything sturdy enough will do. You can often find some faded but sturdy panniers real cheap. You'll need a sleeping bag (don't skimp), a tent (skimp) and I think your good to go.
I think my first tent was a shower curtain. Since the makeover of your sport bike will significantly change it and you'll be "losing it", why not sell it and buy nicer stuff like a Brooks saddle.