View Single Post
Old 11-09-20, 01:37 AM
busygizmo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
You can find a Cross Check in that price range (not disc though, but a classic all-rounder bike--folks have certainly ridden them in the winter tons before discs caught on). For disc I'd look for a Straggler - not sure if you'll find one under $1k but maybe close.
Thanks for the recommendations. There is a 56cm Cross Check on our local CL for $875. Last week there was a Soma Double Cross in the same size for about the same price. Both have cantilever brakes which I'm fine with but my partner is sold on disc brakes. There is a Straggler listed but it is a size too small. There seems to one or two bikes that look promising that pop up on CL every week so I'll just keep looking.

If anybody else has any specific models they think fit the bill, please post them.

I also saw this review for the Canyon Grail AL 7.0 that sounds really promising for a reasonable price but is out of my current budget.
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/03/2020...l-bike-review/

I'll probably just ride my old steel road bike this winter unless something really great pops up on CL or at one of the local shops that sells used bikes. Hopefully this pandemic gets under control so my industry rebounds, then a new bike will be in order.

Thanks