Thread: Town Pants
View Single Post
Old 03-01-20, 08:36 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
...Had been thinking of doing a level rear rack to hold something of similar size to the stuff sack in that picture though maybe should consider tilting it down at an angle like that.
I have never ridden a unicycle, so I probably am the last person you want advice from. But, I am 98 percent confident that if I was going to try one, I would want my load balanced between front and rear, so when I had my cycle loaded, it would balance with the seat above the pedals exactly the same way as if it was unloaded. Thus, a rear rack with no counterbalance weight on the front is something i would avoid.

It is pretty clear that the setup in the photo I posted above that the racks are standard bike racks, thus likely angled because the geometry of the racks are designed that way. If you wanted the racks to be closer to horizontal, a front rack from a bike might have a better shape because the fork of a bike is closer to vertical than the seatstays on the back of the bike, thus a front rack might work out better.

It looks to me like the one in the photo I posted above has just barely sufficient stuff on it for camping as long as food sources were close by, was more stuff than needed for credit card touring. I took that photo in Iceland where camping is inexpensive and there are many places to camp, but indoor lodging is quite expensive. Thus, I assumed that the cyclist was camping.