Old 03-01-20, 01:44 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
But, I am 98 percent confident that if I was going to try one, I would want my load balanced between front and rear, so when I had my cycle loaded, it would balance with the seat above the pedals exactly the same way as if it was unloaded.
It could well prove that you are right and this is important, but I'm not going to assume without experiment that it is necessary for a limited amount of luggage. The rider weighs a lot more, and it may well be that lowering and extending the handlebar a little could restore balance and maybe create a better riding position, too. Another inch out on the handlebar and I can carry spare spokes in there and not taped to the fork leg (got a longer one, haven't tried yet as I wanted to ride today not mess with gear)

I would keep stuff like water central though.

Of course all of this is in the realm of things to try in short test rides, I've given some thought to PVC pipe and an empty cardboard box just to see what I will or won't collide with while mounting up or stepping backwards down.

The full pole based rig can carry camping gear but is a lot more complicated to manage, to transport, and moderately violates usual clearance areas. I haven't ruled out a mini version though. On the plus side, it does mean that the unique parts of the handlebar attachment can be replaced by something more generic mounting some bar ends or an aero stryke type loop above the forward carry pole.

Last edited by UniChris; 03-01-20 at 09:12 PM.