Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I think the issue is that one of the most important "demands of racing" is that the bike be in perfect working order with no bearings dragging, no brakes rubbing, no misalignment in the shifting system, etc. The surest way to keep a bike in this state is not to ride it.

But I think this goes beyond racing. Many of us want a bike that's in perfect working order that we can hop on a ride without a care. If a bike is only ridden in ideal conditions it's really easy to keep it running like that. Conversely, many of us also want a bike that we can abuse.

I've read people saying that you should wash your bike and clean the drivetrain after every rainy ride. Do you know how burdensome that would be in the PNW? I want a bike that I can take out and ride in any conditions and then just hang it on a hook when I get home and take it out for more of the same the next day. This takes a major toll on the drivetrain, but it makes my life a lot easier. My rain bike only gets maintenance when something is obviously wrong.

I used to have a "nice bike" and a "rain bike" because of this, but my "nice bike" was a cyclocross bike and when I actually took up cyclocross racing I discovered just how much abuse it could take. And since it rains almost every day nine months of the year here, it made sense for my "rain bike" to be a nice bike, so I made that change. My designated rain bike is now one of the nicest bikes I own. But I still have other bikes that I only ride in fair weather for the reasons stated above.
Fenders help of course. Full fenders keep spray off your chain ring. I'm becoming more of a believer in full-time fenders, they keep crap off your bike full time, not just water in the rain. My bike would have them IF my commute route did not include a nice fire trail that cuts off about a mile. I kept fenders on my bike in winter '14-15 and the front ate a twig on that road and folded on me. I haven't had them since but I've been thinking about it again because pretty much all the gunk on my bike comes from that one mile.

The bikes in my "quiver" are pretty different, not a dichotomy of better or worse, faster or tougher. I've got a cyclocross-frame commuter, a MTB, a 3-speed stepthrough with a toddler seat, and a C&V roadie. The latter gets ridden the least even though it has the nicest ride. I think mainly I leave it in the rack due to its short gearing, but it seems like that's part of its character.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-03-17 at 02:21 PM.