Old 06-03-20, 07:08 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisp72
Does anyone build their own wheels in their own set up space?
Yes, I have had to do that and would prefer building up wheel sets myself as there is more flexibility in parts, unless you pick the parts and have someone else build the wheel set (bike shop, or if you know someone with the gear).

Long story short, I had my bike and truck packed in a garage and the bike shifted when I was getting the truck out. I ended up running over the front wheel. So I got a new rim for cheap and some spokes.

The only tool that is rather important is a truing stand. You can get OK results with the wheel on your bike, but it is a lot easier on a bench with a truing stand. And if you don't have a good gauge for spoke tension by feel or a wheel to compare to a tension gauge is handy. Other than that you should already have a spoke wrench in your tool set for your bikes.

I wouldn't hesitate building wheel sets. The "art" part of it comes down to lacing patterns. Before you get going even you need to know how to size the spokes. There is an online tool (can't recall what it is or where it is off the top of my head) that helps determine the spoke length. There are several factors you need to know - lacing pattern, hole/spoke count, inside rim diameter (where the nipples seat on the inside of the rim), hub width, drive side/non-drive side, etc. And with spokes varying in lengths to mm's it helps to be as accurate as possible.

The flexibility of knowing how to build wheels helps, also, should you choose to upgrade to a hub dynamo later also.

On another note - I like doing things myself and am willing to learn new things. So working on my own stuff always interests me. I like figuring things out and making things work. So if you have the same mindset there isn't any obstacle you can't overcome with thought, time, and resources. Sometimes a bit of helpful guidance along the way can help as well if you get stuck. Just don't stop learning.