Old 07-08-19, 01:22 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I don't think there's any plan to have Walmart carry or service Viathon.

Regardless, direct sales have already largely taken over in Europe with brands like Canyon, YT, Commencal, Rose, Cube etc. Diamondback, Raleigh and Intense have gone direct in the US. Trek, Giant and Evil all have hybrid direct-sales models. Pure play American direct sales brands like Fezzari are growing quickly and selling some very competitive bikes. I think direct sales of bikes is a viable business plan.

Given who's behind this and the bikes on offer, I'd say Viathon is a different proposition than a guy in Texas selling five year old catalog frames.
Direct sales of high-end bicycles is a viable business plan, but only for an organization that will support the customer well with technical info, repair issues, warranty, etc. The direct sales companies growing quickly are growing from the base of zero sales, but the trend is positive.

I think it's all good. E-bikes are adding to a renewed interest in 2 (and 3) wheeled transport by people+companies with deeper pockets.

Let's hope the people from AR stay involved and expand their philanthropic financial commitments to communities at every town/city where they have stores - many of which destroyed small businesses and drove towns to vacancy & associated problems.

yes, BikesDirect is not an equal comparison. Low tech, low end is BD's volume. If the AR clan financed Allied (production in Little Rock), then it makes sense to invest again with an imported frame from a low overhead, overseas manufacturer.

Final thought: it’s all good for cycling and the customers = more options and choices in buying nice bicycles.

My personal philosophy with new bike purchases: Support your local frame builders. Where better to spend your money than with a craftsman who lives near you? (But I dream)

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-08-19 at 01:31 PM.
Likes For Wildwood: